Asbestos was a common building material from about 1900 until is was banned in the UK in 2000. Any building constructed before 1985 is likely to contain some asbestos and Cedar Chase is no exception.
Asbestos is a mineral that easily divides into tiny fibres. These can be very much smaller than a human hair – so small that they pass right through a normal vacuum cleaner. The fibres are known to cause serious lung diseases if inhaled.
Following questions from residents, the Committee commissioned a full survey of a sample house in August 2013. The report shows that we do not have a big problem, but that there are some materials that must be treated with care – particularly in the under-stairs cupboard.